Dairy protein and its role in the health of elderly people20 November 2018
During Health Ingredients Europe (HIE) 2018, Ingredia has essentially focused on nutrition and health in relation to the elderly population. We are therefore pleased to present 3 innovative concepts aimed at that market: a finger-food type dairy snack, a yogurt rich in calcium (to prevent osteoporosis) and a high protein beverage (aimed to combat overnight fasting).
- A chocolate flavored bite size « Dairy snack » containing 13.5% dairy protein. The innovative dome shaped structure along with a creamy indulgent texture makes this product unique on the market. It is created with the use of the micellar casein PROMILK® SH 20 and milk protein PROMILK® 600 A. The association between these two proteins provides an optimal intake of essential amino acids that are slowly digested by the body. The indulgent yet adapted “easy to eat” format and creamy texture along with the high protein content make this snack an ideal option in the diet of an elderly person as it fulfills their daily protein requirements.
- A yogurt which is rich in protein (10%) and highly bioavailable calcium (420mg). This indulgent yogurt has been formulated with the highly functional milk protein: PROMILK® 600 A. This yogurt completes the daily protein and calcium intake requirements needed to preserve bone health and prevent osteoporosis amongst the elderly.
- A high protein beverage (12% protein) aimed to combat overnight fasting, has been formulated with two complementary protein: native micellar casein PRODIET® Fluid and native whey protein hydrolysate PRODIET® Hydrolysate S25. This unique micellar casein has been specifically developed to formulate high protein beverages while retaining perfect fluidity. PRODIET® Fluid has a high nutritional quality (rich in Branched Chain Amino Acids and in leucine). These two proteins have optimal biodisponibility in all of the amino acids. The high content of leucine and its fast assimilation by the body, triggers muscle synthesis and thus avoiding muscle mass loss which is an important health issue within the elderly community. The micellar caseins of the PRODIET® Fluid are slowly digested (fully digested up to 7 hours after ingestion), thus making them efficient against overnight fasting by providing a “fuller for longer” feeling.
PRODIET® unique milk proteins for the future of clinical nutrition.18 October 2018
PRODIET® is a range of unique milk proteins to meet the needs of the clinical nutrition market:
- An outstanding nutritional profile
Milk proteins, micellar caseins and soluble proteins, have a higher essential amino acid content than the reference protein defined by FAO in 2007. Its chemical index is therefore greater than 100.
- High digestibility
If the amino acid composition is an essential element in avoiding deficiencies, it is also important that these amino acids are absorbed into the blood. The Chemical Index Corrected by fecal digestibility formerly used to Measure Protein Quality (PD-CAAS) is now replaced by DIAAS (FAO). It corresponds to the chemical index corrected by the ileal digestibility (ie: determined at the end of the small intestine) which better reflects the amount of amino acids absorbed. Milk proteins have a DIAAS of 123 (FAO report, 2007) which corresponds to an optimal digestibility.
- Associated micronutrients
Milk proteins and particularly micellar caseins have a specific advantage: they are rich in highly bioavailable calcium, which gives them an important role in bone health. More generally, dairy products provide specific elements for animal products, such as vitamin B12.
To read, our article in Actifs magazine: actifs-64 Nutrition Clinique
Create innovation with unique milk protein PROMILK® 600 A22 June 2018
Greek yogurts have been the main launch for many years worldwide. With only 1% of the US market 10 years ago, high protein yogurts have currently 50% of the market share. This trend arrived in Asia in early 2016. But, what is the next big success in dairy category: fresh cheese? Icelandic yogurt? Kefir? With milk proteins, our experts support manufacturers and meet the challenge of creating the next big dairy innovation.
PROMILK® 600 A, a unique milk protein
PROMILK® 600 A is a very special milk protein. Easy-to-use, emulsifying capacity and water retention are the main functionalities of this unique protein. Using PROMILK® 600 A in fresh dairy products, manufacturers can easily produce high protein yogurt with a very pleasant creaminess and an indulgent mouthfeel. In a matrix containing rennet, PROMILK® 600 A provides a great firm structure to the product. Ingredia’s protein opens up a pool of innovations for the dairy industry.
PROMILK® 600 A in a shelf stable high protein yogurt
Using PROMILK® 600 A, manufacturers can produce 6% protein spoonable or drinking yogurt which are stable to room temperature. The product is very creamy – the main quality of PROMILK® 600 A – and fresh in mouth. All the advantages of a chilled yogurt in a shelf stable one!
PROMILK® 600 A in a dairy snack
The dairy snack we developed is a convenient and shelf stable snack. It has a 6 months shelf life while maintaining a perfect texture and taste. Without any E-numbers and texturizers, the dairy snack contains 13.5% proteins and 5% fat. In this concept, PROMILK® 600 A brings texture and structure to the dairy matrix.A step ahead into the innovation thanks to PROMILK® 600 A!
PROMILK® SH 20 = a unique milk protein to produce cheese without whey separation24 April 2018
PROMILK® SH 20 is an optimized micellar casein. Ingredia’s non-denaturing process perserves the native form of casein compared to sodium caseinate. PROMILK® SH 20 also has optimal nutritional and functional benefits.
A functional milk protein
This unique protein has specific adapted functionalities that are necessary for the production of ripened cheese and all fresh cheese.
– Easy-to-use: PROMILK® SH 20 hydrates better when compared to standard milk protein isolate and is completely heat stable.
– Texture enhancer: due to its composition in micellar casein (92% of total proteins), PROMILK® SH 20 is the best adapted protein to make cheese.
– Neutral taste.
PROMILK® SH 20 and cheese without whey separation:
100% yield (no whey treatment), a whole range of products on the same production line, high quality traditional cheese , and an optimized cheese composition are the features and benefits of this new way to make cheese with highly specialized milk proteins.
With its functional properties, PROMILK® SH 20 is well adapted for this technology.
– Easy-to-process: to produce cheese without whey separation, technologists formulate the cheese with a large quantity of protein. When using PROMILK® SH 20 a curd with perfect viscosity and an optimal texture is formed.
– Ripens the same as traditional cheese: compared to standard milk protein isolate, PROMILK® SH 20 has significant buffering power. This ensures the same ripening step as in traditional way of producing cheese.
– No off-taste: in fresh cheese, PROMILK® SH 20 guarantees a neutral taste instead of the bitterness which can come from standard micellar casein or sodium caseinate.
Using PROMILK® SH 20 guarantees being a leader in cheese innovation!
An optimal cheese process: make it better with PROMILK® 852 B!26 March 2018
PROMILK® 852 B is a micellar casein from Ingredia. Created from only filtration processing, this protein is naturally rich in native micellar casein (92%). This native processing allows PROMILK® 852 B to have particularly high functionalities and nutritional quality.
PROMILK® 852 B: a functional milk protein
- Optimal hydration: 94% of rehydration in 30 minutes
- Texture improver: faster acidification in order to have the same texture versus using total milk protein (ex: MPC 85)
- High water-binding capacities: a high quality protein gel
PROMILK® 852 B in cheese
Micellar casein is the best protein to produce very high quality cheese in an optimal way. PROMILK® 852 B is a versatile protein for cheese applications.
- Enrichment and standardization: using PROMILK® 852 B guarantees milk composition consistency which standardizes the cheese composition and sensory profile. By using this ingredient, manufacturers ensure an optimal yield: an improvement in recuperation rates and an increase in manufacturing productivity.
- Processed cheese: from block to spreadable cheese, PROMILK® 852 B provides structure and a creamy texture to the cheese. Ingredia’s micellar casein can be used in a wide range of processed cheese recipes and gives a soft texture to the finished product.
- Cheese without whey separation: cheese can be produced with a 100% yield with PROMILK® 852 B. With this protein’s texturizing capability, it can be utilized in the formulation for soft cheese, cream cheese and white cheese.
PROMILK® 852 B micellar casein with texturizing properties21 February 2018
Created from only filtration processing, PROMILK® 852 B is a milk protein naturally rich in native micellar casein. This native processing enables PROMILK® 852 B to be particularly functional in food applications with optimal hydration and exceptional heat stability properties.
In cheese applications, this micellar casein is well-known for its texturizing properties (to create the cheese structure).
Rennet casein, sodium caseinates, milk proteins, casein, etc. are all dairy ingredients used in processed cheese! Sodium caseinates are widely used in processed cheese but they exhibit many disadvantages: consumer perception (chemical process), bad taste, and currently very high prices. Sodium caseinate does not have stabilizing properties in cheese formulations.
However, these disadvantages can be alleviated with Ingredia’s PROMILK® 852 B. Ingredia’s micellar casein replaces 100% of cheese proteins. With PROMILK® 852 B, manufacturers can formulate and create a well-textured block cheese.
PROMILK® 802 FB Takes it “Back to the Basics”31 January 2018
“Back to the basics” is the latest big trend. A growing number of consumers are looking for ways to simplify their lives and are more open to trying new things. Food claims such as clean label, free-from, natural, non-GMO, etc. are perceived as claims to a healthy lifestyle.
The clean-label market is estimated at US$165 billion globally. To meet consumer expectations, manufacturers are reformulating products to have short ingredient lists and be as natural as possible by avoiding artificial ingredients and using fewer stabilizers.
With PROMILK® 802 FB, INGREDIA’s native whey protein, manufacturers can produce clean-label yogurts. This unique protein has two exceptional primary functionalities due to its native form (the same as in fresh milk): jellifying properties and water retention.
As a texture booster, requiring less than 0.5% in the recipe, PROMILK® 802 FB replaces 100% of gelatin and creates a perfect creamy and shiny yogurt.
Do you want to lead in this latest health trend? Then use PROMILK® 802 FB in your formulations.